Was looking at M1 Garands for sale on Gun Broker. There was one for sale that was had a 11-43 receiver, but a barrel that was marked U.S.iconM.C. S-A 11-46. The gun shop selling the M1 indicated the USMC didn't stand for the Marine Corps, but rather United Shoe Machinery Company. I have Scott Duffs and Collector Books (Joe Poyer/Craig Riesch) books on the M1 Garand and nothing in them refers to USMC barrels, nor can I find anything online. I looked up the US Machinery Company and according to the history of the company they made many things used in armaments for the miitary during WW2, but no M1 barrels. The S-A throws me also, as I assume it stands for Springfield Armory as many things on the Garand does, but couldn't find anything Springfield produced with the USMC marking. Is this an oddity or some con/sham job. The drawing numbers for the major parts other than the receiver are not real close, a lot of post WW2. The barrel has me curious.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.