Hello all,

I thought I'd show a little bit of my current project - cleaning up a No4Mk1/3 that came from a pile of "relics" from Sarco.

I started first by cleaning it up with mineral spirits and taking it all apart to it's smallest components. What a mess! Though, hiding underneath all that filth was a pretty clean finish.

This particular rifle was made in 42 by Savage. I'm guessing it saw quite a bit of shooting, as the barrel seems to be a replacement from when the rifle was upgraded to a 3. The barrel is 5 groved bears an F 53 stamp on the right side which would match when and where it was upgraded, FTR 53. Interesting,the barrel has a GR proof stamp, so perhaps it was made sometime before George VI died in 52. Though that is only a a guess.

The stock itself seems to be the original Savage stock and has an S marked forend cap. The other wood it came with, the lower handguard and buttstock, seem darker - maybe English walnut. The stock seems to have been upgraded to a Mk3 by replacing the reinforcement band with a cross screw. That part seems easy to replicate, but any originals would be appreciated.

I will update as more parts start coming in from Numrich.

Happy Holidays!

---------- Post added at 06:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 PM ----------

Also, a big shout-out to @rcathey who made this possible!
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.