Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Threaded View

Last On
    Yesterday @ 08:25 PM
    Local Date
    05-01-2024
    Local Time
    06:03 AM
    I didn't personally take part in the Dieppe Raid, during WW2, myself nor was I present in Dieppe during the "Dieppe Raid" to witness events unfold.

I do know that certain claims have been made, in recent years, suggesting that during the Dieppe Raid an attempt was made to seize Enigma material, specifically relating to the 4 rotor Enigma machine. I do not consider it fit for me to either confirm or dismiss these claims because I was not there myself.

However, I do have the intelligence to understand Bletchley Park's need for the 4 rotor Enigma material at this time in the war because they were unable to decipher Kriegsmarine coded messages once they had been encrypted using the 4 rotor Enigma machine. Of course the Germans would have changed the codes if they had discovered or realised that Enigma material had gone missing during the "Dieppe Raid" and that is why the material would have been taken in such a way that the Germans wouldn't realise that material had gone missing. If the plan was to demolish the building that contained the Enigma material, once it had been seized, the obvious thing would have been to demolish a number of buildings. Physical items didn't necessarily needed to be taken from Dieppe for Bletchley Park to obtain the material and information that they needed. An obvious way to achieve this would be to use a camera.

I believe that I am correct in stating that one of the Churchill tanks did make it up the beach at Dieppe and onto the seafront road, proving that the Dieppe beach could support tanks but not very well. Perhaps if lighter tanks were used, than the Churchill tank, more would have made it up the beach?

2. The Following 2 Members Say Thank You to Flying10uk For This Useful Post: