+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Got it know what ?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
  1. #1
    Member soonerfan66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Last On
    Today @ 02:25 PM
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    19
    Local Date
    05-25-2020
    Local Time
    03:39 PM

    Got it know what ?

    Seen a auction site that had a Bubba job Ross coming up and said "what the heck" and placed what I thought was a low ball max bid on it . Checked my emails a few hours later and was surprised to see had won it . It came today . This is my first Ross but I know parts and wood are a bit hard to track down . So what should I do , just part the parts out , keep it way it is and shoot it , put some cash in it and try get back to original cause to me it looks sad with that bare barrel sticking out like that , or hold out for one in better shape . Also the bigger question I got WHAT DID THEY DO TO IT and what type , the rear sight is for sure not original and front is missing hood and the sight post I am not sure about it's a brass post but it does fit . Was told it is a Mk2 and that's it , was it a civilian model ?? No markings on the butt stock cause been sanded smooth . I put a 303 piece of brass with a primer in it it loaded , went pop and ejected good . Have not took it apart yet .
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20200115_184620.jpg‎
Views:	88
Size:	2.39 MB
ID:	104883   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200115_184645.jpg‎
Views:	82
Size:	2.34 MB
ID:	104884   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200115_184707.jpg‎
Views:	72
Size:	799.7 KB
ID:	104885   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200115_184814.jpg‎
Views:	79
Size:	2.14 MB
ID:	104886   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200115_184854.jpg‎
Views:	81
Size:	2.07 MB
ID:	104887  

  2. # ADS
    Friends and Sponsors
    Join Date
    October 2006
    Location
    Milsurps.Com
    Posts
    All Threads
     

  3. #2
    Member vykkagur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Last On
    @
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    92
    Local Date
    05-25-2020
    Local Time
    05:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by soonerfan66 View Post
    Seen a auction site that had a Bubba job Ross coming up and said "what the heck" and placed what I thought was a low ball max bid on it . Checked my emails a few hours later and was surprised to see had won it . It came today . This is my first Ross but I know parts and wood are a bit hard to track down . So what should I do , just part the parts out , keep it way it is and shoot it , put some cash in it and try get back to original cause to me it looks sad with that bare barrel sticking out like that , or hold out for one in better shape . Also the bigger question I got WHAT DID THEY DO TO IT and what type , the rear sight is for sure not original and front is missing hood and the sight post I am not sure about it's a brass post but it does fit . Was told it is a Mk2 and that's it , was it a civilian model ?? No markings on the butt stock cause been sanded smooth . I put a 303 piece of brass with a primer in it it loaded , went pop and ejected good . Have not took it apart yet .
    Get out the yellow tape; a crime has been committed here. When I see a disgraceful sight like this, I think they should talk less about registering firearms and focus on licensing bubba hacksaws and belt sanders.

    Do not break it for parts! There's not that many left that we can afford to keep losing them. I'm not sure it's restorable to original spec, with the receiver ring dovetailed like that. Has the barrel been shortened? If it can't be "de-sporterized", it can certainly make a fine custom gun. If that's the route you (or the next owner) decide to go, check out some of the nicer factory Ross sporters for inspiration.

  4. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
  5. #3
    Member soonerfan66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Last On
    Today @ 02:25 PM
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    19
    Local Date
    05-25-2020
    Local Time
    03:39 PM
    Thread Starter
    Well I started to take it apart and stopped . Thought that the top hand guard is held in place by clips since there is no barrel band on it , the top hand guard seems to be glued on to the barrel . Not wanting to damage the wood any more then already is am leaving it alone for now . Had hopes maybe splicing together the bottom wood and extending it out to the front and pick up a nose piece and use a middle barrel band I bought off ebay last week when I realized had won the rifle thinking I probably will be needing a few odds and ends . I know off a few places I read about on here were can get some reproduction parts and wood . I cleaned the bolt , barrel and were can get to without taking it apart completely . Just waiting for a few replies before doing much else .

  6. #4
    Member soonerfan66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Last On
    Today @ 02:25 PM
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    19
    Local Date
    05-25-2020
    Local Time
    03:39 PM
    Thread Starter
    The barrel is 27 inches best can tell so think it has not been cut down . And yes it makes me ill to see a old mil surp that someone has sporterized , especially when it is done as bad as this . Starting to feel it might be easiest to sell it and get one more original cause by the time I add up all the stuff this needs I will be getting more into it then will ever be worth . Guess I will wait and sleep on it . It is sitting in my safe next to my K-31 and it looks so pitiful cause whats been done to it . They talk about animals being mistreated I think we need a law to keep these old guns safe from Bubba !!

  7. #5
    Member Bluenoser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last On
    05-22-2020 @ 08:18 AM
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    98
    Local Date
    05-25-2020
    Local Time
    05:39 PM
    The barrel should be 28" from breech face to muzzle. If you measured from the front of the receiver, 27" would be about right. It most likely started life as a MkII 3* or Mk II 4*. I would not put any money into restoring it with that cut receiver. However, aside from bands, good full length barrels are the most difficult part to find. There are quite a few Mk IIs with shortened barrels around. I would purchase one of those and transfer your barrel and, perhaps, a few other parts over to it. Mk II barrels, with the exception of the 2*, are pretty easy to remove.

  8. #6
    Member vykkagur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Last On
    @
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    92
    Local Date
    05-25-2020
    Local Time
    05:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
    The barrel should be 28" from breech face to muzzle. If you measured from the front of the receiver, 27" would be about right. It most likely started life as a MkII 3* or Mk II 4*. I would not put any money into restoring it with that cut receiver. However, aside from bands, good full length barrels are the most difficult part to find. There are quite a few Mk IIs with shortened barrels around. I would purchase one of those and transfer your barrel and, perhaps, a few other parts over to it. Mk II barrels, with the exception of the 2*, are pretty easy to remove.
    And then take the remaining action, rebarrel it to a better caliber, and make the aforementioned fine custom rifle. Perfect solution! If I weren't on the other side of the border, I'd make you an offer on the action right now.
    Last edited by vykkagur; 01-16-2020 at 09:29 AM.

  9. #7
    Member Bluenoser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last On
    05-22-2020 @ 08:18 AM
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    98
    Local Date
    05-25-2020
    Local Time
    05:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by vykkagur View Post
    And then take the remaining action, rebarrel it to a better caliber, and make the aforementioned fine custom rifle. Perfect solution! If I weren't on the other side of the border, I'd make you an offer on the action right now.
    Good idea - IF you can find someone willing to cut a 3 TPI left hand acme thread. Not sure the Ross is a true acme, but it appears as though it might be. Perhaps someone will confirm the thread form.

  10. #8
    Contributing Member AGB-1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last On
    Today @ 04:48 AM
    Location
    Krugerville Texas
    Age
    80
    Posts
    189
    Local Date
    05-25-2020
    Local Time
    03:39 PM
    Ross Rifle Restoration



    Try here.

  11. #9
    Member vykkagur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Last On
    @
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    92
    Local Date
    05-25-2020
    Local Time
    05:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AGB-1 View Post
    Their price list is still showing barrels unavailable, unfortunately.

    If the MK. II barrels are like the Mk. III, there's ample material to work with. You could find a junk barrel (cut down, with worn rifling/rusted beyond recovery) and use it to machine a stub adapter, a la Cooey-Carcano. This lets you use anybody's new barrel blank and chambering without having to cut a challenging thread. Or, get a restorable rifle and swap over your good barrel, then use the take-off barrel, either as chambered or rebored to something fun. No threads to cut. This would leave you with a custom sporter AND a restored mil-spec. Win-win.
    Last edited by vykkagur; 01-16-2020 at 07:56 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts