Thread: A LOVELY WINCHESTER P 14 MK1*........with pictures!!!!!!!

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Threaded View

Last On
    03-11-2024 @ 04:08 PM
    Local Date
    05-03-2024
    Local Time
    12:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bros View Post
    You state that the bolt lug upgrade was incorporated into rifle production (MK1 to MK1*) around Dec 1916. Now, the rifles that went thru the W.R.S during WW2..... are you suggesting that the conversion from a MK1 to MK1* was also something completed at this time as well?..........or......once a rifle left the factory as a MK1 it stayed a MK1 thru it's entire life and never upgraded to a MK1* whether it went thru the W.R.S or not?
    The reason why I ask this is, if the reason for the conversion to MK1* was the longer bolt lug ( which undoubtedly it was) and this was an upgrade also completed during the W.R.S process......have all the rifles that were upgraded to MK1* been issued new bolts incorporating the longer lug, and then stamped with rifle serial number? You just can't take a original MK1 bolt and merely add some length to the locking lug....bolt and locking lugs are the same piece of steel!!! I need you to clarify this for me. Sorry I just never heard of new bolts being issued but that's the only way I can see it if there was a W.R.S conversion to MK1*
    The * conversion was outside the remit of the WRS. According to Skennertonicon, the * upgrade was incorporated into the manufacturing process, it was not a "retro-fit".
    If rebarreling was within the WRS spec, (and I'm not sure if it was) it is possible that some Mk1 rifles became "upgraded" by default if a canibalised Mk1* barrel got fitted. In such cases it wouldn't have been necessary to replace the bolt, as a Mk1 bolt will function in a Mk1* rifle. It's also a possibility, of course that the barrel was replaced post service.
    FWIW, the serial number stamping on your bolt looks original to that component.

2. Thank You to harry mac For This Useful Post: