Having read a lot about the sighting routine of these carbines, if you were in the vicinity, it passed. The carbines are funny weapons, Look at one from the top and sometimes the various part groups look like they don't belong together. The barrel points one way and the receiver another, but they work. Expecting accuracy is not a sure thing. No matter how new and original the carbine is doesn't guarantee accuracy. I have a NPM with an IBM barrel that holds the 10 ring at 100 yds on an SR-1. That's about 3-4". I have two essentially new originals, a 5.6 Win and a 5.4 Inland, low miles, type 2-3 sights, new barrels, etc. They both shoot to point of aim having left the factory with type 2 bands and factory adjustable sights. They should easily out perform the NPM but they don't. The NPM has a barrel that measures probably 1 or 2, it sits in a beat up I cut Inland stock and has a type 3 band. You just don't know. They were pounding out 1000 a day at these factories and were built to be adequate, not perfect. That they are as nice as they are is a treat.

These carbines were wildly popular in the European theater. My late FIL was an officer in the "Red Ball Express" pushing supplies from Omaha toward Germanyicon 24/7. He received a brand new Carbine and it was stolen the first day. Hauling around a handy 5lb weapon as compared to an 8lb big not handy Garandicon, was what these GIs wanted. In N.Africa, Brig Gen Theodore Roosevelt 2nd man in charge of the 1st division carried a carbine and plugged people, mostly Frenchicon Bedouins with it to great effect. He had no problem shooting people who were problems, no matter who's side hey were on.