Thread: A Little Known No32 Bracket.......The Mike Baylis variant.

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Threaded View

Advisory Panel
    Last On
    Yesterday @ 05:16 AM
    Real Name
    Roger Payne
    Local Date
    04-28-2024
    Local Time
    01:55 PM

A Little Known No32 Bracket.......The Mike Baylis variant.

I mentioned on another recent thread that a friend & I had clubbed together to buy the collection of scopes & ancillary bits & pieces of a recently deceased old acquaintance & club mate, the late Mike Baylis. Mike was a skilled machinist & in the early to mid 1990's having purchased a couple from me, he decided to tool up & make his own No32 mounts. He had patterns made & did the machining of the resultant castings himself. I had made a copy based on the Dalgleish bracket variant, so he plumped for the Rose Brothers type. He only made a very few - I don't know exactly how many, but at a guess maybe between ten & twenty, though he definitely did sell a few to the general collecting public. So, there is quite probably one or two of them still out there, maybe in the hands of collectors who aren't quite sure what they have. You can see from the enclosed photo's that he 'slimmed down' the main lengthwise strut of the bracket & made it parallel, not slightly tapered, as on the original Rose Brothers products. However, Mike's brackets were of a very good standard of manufacture, & sand cast very similar to the originals. When we bought his collection a couple of weeks back one of his scopes came with a home grown bracket on it. I'd forgotten about them as it was so long ago, but recognised it almost immediately. I thought they deserved a mention as most people, if seeing one, would probably assume it was some sort of recently produced mount. It is a reproduction, but a thirty year old one! Incidentally, I assume Mike added the 'JG' stamp himself, though I am sure not for any nefarious reason. He never sold this bracket.Attachment 106001Attachment 106000Attachment 105999Attachment 106002
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by Roger Payne; 03-10-2020 at 03:33 PM.

2. The Following 8 Members Say Thank You to Roger Payne For This Useful Post: