Not long a ago I purchased from an estate sale a July, 42 Springfield M1icon Garand. All proper Draw numbers on parts, right stock markings, really good shape. Does have a 1946 barrel with clean bore, nice rifling. Bought late November, haven't had much time or good weather to fire. Did run through around 48 rds after purchasing. Really good price. The only problem I had was difficulty in seating a loaded enbloc clip. I could seat it approx. 3/4 of the way and had to really push hard to fully seat. Really hard!The first round didn't want to chamber very easily without helping it. All remaining rounds would chamber without problems. All firing, brass ejection, and the enbloc clip ejecting were no problem. I noticed that the rails at the bottom portion of the clip rails seemed to have a lot of hard grease and debris which I thought maybe causing the hard clip seating. I was using clips that I've used with my March, 55 Springfield M1 that worked fine with that rifle. Just haven't gotten around to messing with it until last weekend, got it all lubed up today and same problem persists.

Stripped the M1 down with exception of the trigger group. All parts appeared normal. Super cleaning job performed.

1) Rounds all loaded correctly. PMC ammo that I've used in my other M1 with no problem.
2) The follower will move up and down with no problem. Will bottom out with no felt
obstruction.
3) There doesn't appear to be any obstruction with the follower rod.
4) No other apparent/seen obstructions with any parts.
5) No burrs in receiver rails that the enbloc clip rides in. I did use a fine round and flat stone
on the rails.
6) Bullet guide appears ok with no interference seen with the follower arm.
7) Clips that I've used in my 1955 M1 were used that always worked in that rifle.
8) I polished the sides of the clips with a fine emery cloth where they ride in the receiver
rails.
9) After through cleaning of all parts and relubing, the problem still persists.

I checked the above items after checking a online M1 Garand trouble shooting site. I'm puzzled as to what is causing the problem. The gunshop owner that did the FFL transfer advised as far as he knew the M1 worked as designed, but no way of contacting owner. Any ideas and help/suggestions very much appreciated. Gotta be something I'm not seeing or aware of.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.