Over the years I've acquired a couple of 9mm Sten barrels that I can't identify. Have checked Peter's book and the other Sten references in my library and online. I suspect they were for WW II suppressors, but don't match the drawing in Peter's book. They're not threaded, so I doubt they're related to postwar cans.

Can anyone confirm what the two specialized barrels in this pic were for? (The bottom barrel is a standard Mk II aftermarket barrel for comparison).

Attachment 106891

The top barrel is 7.5" from breech to muzzle, with 1" long reduced-diameter fluting at the muzzle end. It also has a through hole ahead of the chamber to allow it to be pinned to something.

Attachment 106888

This particular barrel has considerable annular scoring around the exterior of the thick part ahead of the chamber (odd given the hole for the barrel to be pinned!), which may or may not have obliterated some sort of stamped markings. Frankly it looks to me like something might have been there, but is unreadable now.

Attachment 106892

The short barrel is 5-1/8" from breech to muzzle, with 3/8" long fluting at the muzzle end. It has eight staggered rows of six venting holes each. I suspect this might have been a variant used in the long SOE/CISA can.

However, Peter's book has a drawing of a standard-length Mk II barrel with venting holes drilled along the rifling he states was for use with the SOE/CISA suppressor. The vent holes in the barrel below certainly straddle the rifling, and there is no evidence of interior burrs or sharp edges to the holes. This barrel also lacks the three annular "U" shaped recesses just ahead of the butt-end positioning collar as shown in Peter's drawing. It does not have any markings.

Attachment 106890

What think ye?
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.