Last On
    12-02-2022 @ 05:28 PM
    Local Date
    04-29-2024
    Local Time
    10:13 PM

Model 1917 Advice

G'day all,

I've only recently gotten into milsurps and so far I've been completely hooked, in 12 months I've gone from one old SMLE rifle to compete in a few friendly service rifle shoots to now number 4 with number 5 on the way.

speaking of number 4 though, its rather unique on in my part of the world (far north Qld, Australiaicon), its an Eddystone Model 1917 i found by accident in the back of a pile in a small gunshop in a nearby regional town, it was dirty and a bit questionable looking but i decided to re-home it none the less.

With only a light clean it looks a hellava lot better most most significantly had a very good bore and nice rifling with no pitting and could make for an excellent shooter one day. It was E marked on most pieces besides the incorrect front stacking swivel (which I've found a replacement), however the main issue with the rile was the stock, the stocks been repaired by using some sort of bedding compound to build up the front end (which leaves the nose cap a little lose) and in around the receiver, some of which appears to have got onto front sight. The the barrel is clear of the stuff to the receiver but the receiver is stuck firm in there.

Being only a newcomer to this stuff I'm reluctant to attempt to separate the stock without seeking some advice for worry of damaging it as it may be quite some time before any kind of non-sporterized replacement comes my way. As much as i'd like to check under the stock at this stage i'm inclined to leave it alone until i source a replacement stock

Any advice on continuing the cleanup on this rifle or other things i should check (head space is good), would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your time.
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by Oysters; 05-17-2020 at 01:34 AM.