I have an m38 carcano, and was trying to load up some rounds to test, and went with the smallest load that was in the hornady manual for the powder I had available (IMR 4064 at 29.3gr) for the 160gr round nose bullet that Hornady makes. However, I was using different brass and primer that the manual. The manual uses privi partisan cases and WLRM (Manchester large rifle magnum). I was using Norma cases and Federal large rifle magnum primers. I only fired one shot, as the bolt was somewhat stuck thanks to what I assume was the case being stuck the barrel of the gun due to high pressure. As a note, I did only have one round loaded into the rifle, of which I put into the barrel, then closed the bolt on top of.

Does anyone have any idea of what I could change to get a properly functioning load given the tendancies of this round to have high pressures, or is there another powder I can use with federal large rifle magnum primers that works well? I am a bit limited with primers, but I have a little bit to choose from with powders.

Thanks for any feedback!
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.