I've just finished reading Snipers Down South.
I found it a very enjoyable read. First hand accounts of events are always interesting. Well done Gil and Frank for tracking down the participants.
One thing that did strike me was that many of the snipers were chosen and trained at the last minute before embarking for the Falklands. This was partcularly interesting to me because prior to reading this; I had just finished "Britishicon Snipers to the Reich", by Captain Clifford Shore. Written in 1948 by WWII Sniper and trainer; about life training WWII snipers after D-Day. Capt' Shore makes the point that during WWI, the british Army learned the use of Snipers, then forgot about them until WWII. They had to start over again with training.
It seems that after Korea; the Army dropped the Sniper role again until needing it in Northern Ireland and the Falklands. At least today they seem to have realised the importance!
The additional information about how Accuracy International got started was fascinating!

Thank Gil and Frank for a great book. Well done!
Shaun.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.