I am doing a pre-shooting evaluation of a No5 shooter and looking for advice, please? I have fired it a bit years ago but want to redo it right. The plan is confirm the rifle is ready for shooting. Then shoot 20 rounds of Rem UMC to check function get the right sight info for sighting in. Then use the fire formed brass to setup tooling and start hand loading some IVI brass.

The barrel is not free floated with a pressure point at the front of the forearm wood's channel. I understand this is improper spec. The nose cap does not touch. It would if the wood directly behind were relieved.

The action is complete except for the tube spacer between the action screw and nose of the bottom metal and the receiver bottom. The little lock washer is in place on the action screw.

Is this part the same on a No4? Can the rifle be safely shot without it?

The action internals are like new with minor witnessing. The bolt lugs have even and equal witnessing. The bolt and action match.

The inletting is very crisp and shiny in all the right places and is wiggle free. The draws are well defined and have a pressure face shine that is not battered or disturbed.

Overall the condition and precision of this rifle speaks volumes about the BSA factory in 1945, outstanding.

The sn. is BD4XXX and the socket is stamped 1945. I thought it was June 1945 but have no idea were I got that. Close examination shows no markings to indicate that.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.