Threaded View

Last On
    04-27-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Local Date
    04-29-2024
    Local Time
    07:11 PM

Finally found my Krag

This was a VFW turn in that came through CMPicon in 2012.
    My guess is it was refinished at some point. The bluing under the wood looks 100%, whereas the magazine door and side plate are more like 10%. The barrel is 80% or better. I think it was refinished as there are places that clearly used to have slight surface rust, like the side of the rear sight, that appear dark.
    Stock is a little grimy by all the market are deep and noticeable and should clean up nice.

I have it fully disassembled right now except for the barrel. Every came apart easy - except the trigger pin needed a soak to get the dried caked grease off it. All the screws had what smelled to be motor oil on them and no trouble anywhere getting it apart. It was well preserved.

Bore is a bit rough, but hopefully it shoots. More pics coming from my borescope after a good scrub.

It didn't have a front sight blade, and no pin. But, whoever removed it thoughtfully plugged the holes with very tiny/short pins. weird.

I wanted a shooter - and already decided if I got a real sewer pipe I would put a new criterion barrel on it. This in mind long term, I'm leaning towards touching up the bluing around the visible parts of the action.

So, my first question as I clean this up is whether there is any way to tell if this was a parts gun loaned out to VFW, or if it's parts are original. The only notable marking, other than the 1902 stock, is under the bolt handle. Bolt is in the white except for the extractor claw which I read is how they were. I have no problems cleaning it up, bluing, and eventually putting a new barrel on. I want a shooter in good serviceable condition as it would have been in it's day, and I plan to shoot it often. If it's an intact original, I'll keep as is and sell to a collector that appreciates such things hanging on the wall or forgotten in the back of the safe.

Pics below. I'll update as I clean it up and reassemble. I also landed a 3.32million serial M1903 in a CMP stock with pristine bore...but that will be another thread when I get to it.
    Attachment 110403Attachment 110404Attachment 110405Attachment 110406Attachment 110407
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by ssgross; 08-06-2020 at 04:39 PM.

2. Thank You to ssgross For This Useful Post: