Been a while since I've been on here but I suppose wisdom is needed at all times. Hope everyone is well.

So this here is a Remington P14 I picked up some time ago and have been chipping away at, from repairing the stock with a crack working back from the tang, a crack in the bridge of behind the mag well, and the recoil block which was 100% sheared off from the rest of the stock.

I still need to cut out and make up a hardwood block to rebuild the recoil block, since there is still some play between the stock and action block, which I suppose could be what sheared the recoil block in the first place.

However, my other, simpler, concern is this erosion of the front hand guard and partially of the rear.

Attachment 110421Attachment 110422Attachment 110423Attachment 110424Attachment 110425Attachment 110426

Both the front and rear section of the front handguard have rotted away and the steel crescent brace of the rear has rusted to pieces. My two options I am willing to follow both include hacking off these rotten ends and replacing them, but I am wondering if I should either make up these new ends from scratch myself (and spend god knows how long at it), or rind some repro guards and splice the ends onto my old guards then make everything good.

I planned to cut the old ends off at an angle to maximise binding area for the new wood as well as possibly add length ways strips through both new and old wood to act like a dowel.

Any other ideas appreciated. Cheers.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.