Thread: Buyer Beware Bayonets with poor photos.

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Threaded View

Last On
    Today @ 07:59 AM
    Real Name
    Steve
    Local Date
    04-30-2024
    Local Time
    09:39 PM

Buyer Beware Bayonets with poor photos.

Been watching for a Hoten/Mukden bayonet for quite a while as it's the last of the "rare" ones for Japan I was missing. Spotted one on ebay the other day that was buy it now and a decent price for one of these. Looked the two photos over very carefully. Both were low resolution and definitely not the best. Hard to really confirm it actually was a Hoten but as there really isn't any other mark that is a circle with another small circle inside it had to be one.

It came today. Was rushed and I just discovered the box on the porch as I was leaving so I grabbed the box and ran to the car. Opened it at a red light. Immediately noticed the scabbard was pitted really badly, not a good sign. Main thing was the mark. Pulled it out and yes, it is a Hoten. In fact the blade looked mint. Pulled it all the way out and yes, the blade is as mint as a blade can be. Scabbard is crap, wood looked unmarked but stained.

Then I notice the pommel and cross guard. Heavy dark rust. Auuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh. There lies the fuzzy indistinct photos. So the soldier brought back a mint Hoten bayonet and put it someplace damp and all the exposed metal rusted. The scabbard and everything outside it. Real shame.

In any case. I applied my cleaning skills to remove the rust and it is now about average for a Japaneseicon bayonet with a mint blade. I'm content.
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

2. The Following 2 Members Say Thank You to Aragorn243 For This Useful Post: