Hi, I was recently given a Mk5 #1 Jungle Carbine that came out of a factory in a Englandicon in 1947, all original numbers and in close to pristine condition.

My eyes aren’t what they used to be and I can no longer use the peep sights as well as I use to, so I purchased an Addley Precision “no gunsmithing” Picatinny rail mount and fitted a set of Hawke 1” Match rings holding a 4x32 Nikko Stirling Mountmaster scope.

I have put some PPU 174gr FMJ through it and they shot really well with respectable groups. I have also loaded some Hornady 174gr FMJ that shot reasonably well. I want to use this rifle for a little hunting so I thought I’d give the Hornady 174gr RN a try. Unfortunately these bullets simply don’t want to shoot as well as the FMJ. The load that shows the most promise with these bullets is 37.2gr of ADI2206H. Has anybody else had any luck with these bullets? If so, what load did you find provided the best accuracy?

I have done some reading online and it seems that the a Hornady 150gr offering in .312 might be another option, but from memory, the twist rate of the J C is 7.5:1 so I’m not sure if the 150gr offering is suitable for this twist rate. Has anybody else tried these bullets and had any success?

I’m really looking forward to getting out into the field with this rifle as I’ve always had a soft spot for the SMLE .303 and now that I have one I want to use it. I’m fairly new to loading for the .303 so any guidance you can offer will be gratefully accepted.

Cheers, Vince
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.