I've had a busy couple of days, Japaneseicon Hoten Bayonet, Berdan Rifle and this helmet. Came to the conclusion that since I collect this stuff I should actually have some from the war I was actually involved with. I never really thought about bringing stuff back so my souvenirs are more like normal things, a rug, postcards, an official Koran, Desert Storm toilet paper, stuff like that. I did bring back two articles of Iraqi uniforms. A shirt and a pair of pants. They are mismatched and in rough shape. They did not take very good care of their soldiers. Seams are torn out all over both of them and they have hand sewn repairs that aren't holding up well.

Anyway, decided on a helmet search and after losing three auctions for tan painted ones, acquired this near mint example, complete with bring back papers. Didn't realize this would need them but in any case, they exist. This is little more than a thicker US old style helmet liner. These were produced by South Korea and is called the M80. I can't see how this would protect the wearer from much more than dirt falling down from a nearby blast. It's made from the same material as the helmet liners. The much vaunted "largest" army in the world wasn't very well equipped.

Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.