Hello!

I am new to this forum, but have been reading a lot about Kragicon rifles here and thought I would reach out for help.

I recently stumbled upon the opportunity to own the scarce 1898 Krag Saddle Ring Carbine, but I have my doubts about a couple of things. I have done lots of research the past week and learned as much as I can about the 1898 SRC.

What I believe to be correct:

The stock, short forend, saddle ring and cartouche “JSA 1898”

The top handguard with “hump”

The rear sight with stamped C. I know there should be a C on the base which is hidden by the handguard in the pictures. Might have to have the gentleman remove the sight to confirm

The front barrel band with sight protectors

What I believe is incorrect:

The big red flag is the serial number 134,317 which is just slightly out of the accepted range for the 1898 SRC of 118,894 to 134,256. I understand that there have been Springfield Research Service hits with higher serial number 1898 SRCs

The front sight blade which seems to be a bit shorter in height than compared known 1898 SRCs

Any additional information and opinions from the experts in the Krag realm! Thanks!
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.