04-25-2024 @ 09:34 PM
    Real Name
    Mr Clark
    Local Date
    04-28-2024
    Local Time
    03:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Payneicon View Post
    I gather there was an idea to convert new No4 Mk2's to meet the requirement for the L42 programme as so many of the 4T's were pretty well used by 1970. However, the idea was not proceeded with as sufficient 4T's with enough life in them were ultimately found for the conversion programme. From what I have been told (largely from PL) keeping the required number of L42's up & running during their service lives was a challenge at times.

Even so, I've often wondered why, when 4T's were converted to L42's EFD didn't hang the triggers on the body at the same time..........seems like a missed opportunity to make an excellent rifle even better.
    Very good point Roger, also, considering they utilised NOS MK2 bodies and bolts to make up the L39's etc, it's odd they didn't simply dig into the parts and build the L42's up from the same stock.

On a wider note, going back to my father's NS experience, shortly after the final shots of WW2 were fired and armies started de-mobilising, they must have rapidly ran out of available storage for small arms, as literally millions of them would have been in circulation.

Add to this the vast captured ex axis arsenals...

With the best will in the world, you can only store a small fraction of them, even gifting ( as the ex Italianicon, Greek ect Enfields, Carbines, Garlands), will still only scratch the surface....

I wonder how much was scrapped and recycled? Probably not much considering the vast wartime over production of steel.

I would assume 'huge' amounts were simply dumped at sea?
    Last edited by mrclark303; 10-31-2020 at 08:12 AM.

2. Thank You to mrclark303 For This Useful Post: