hello all. first time posting. love all the good info on this site. anyways. just picked up a sporterized 1868 trapdoor Springfield a few weeks ago. couldnt pass it up for the money. good working condition. stock cut down of course. original sights removed. goofy looking peep sight added. didnt think it was too big a deal for the price. got it home and inspected it closer. noticed the barrel was sleeved for a smaller caliber. it was supoosed to be a .50-70. its now somewhere in the .38 pistol cartridge range i think. bore is around .365 as best i can tell. chamber is only cut about .9 inches before you hit rifling. cant say for sure but im thinking .38 smith and wesson short or .38 colt short. so my question is has anyone ever ran across a trapdoor that had been sleeved for a smaller caliber and if so what caliber was it is? ive looed at hundred of sportered trapdoors on the internet over the past couple weeks and i have yet to find one that wasnt still in the orignial caliber. thank you all!
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.