My dog gifted me a No4 Mk 2 for Christmas, along with a MAS 36. I though I would get started on this while I wait for my 7.5 Frenchicon dies.
Pics below. Overall condition seems fantastic, although it is full of greasy dust. My first question is:
The original finish is mostly intact, although blotchy and uneven from what looks like dried grease or cosmolineicon. What is the best way to go about cleaning and preserving the original finish? My go to is usually mineral spirits and a nylon brush to remove all the old grease and lubricants. But I'm concerned that may remove the original blacking. Please advise.
Attachment 113572Attachment 113573Attachment 113574Attachment 113575Attachment 113576
Appears the butt stock is not original - that S is for Savage? More questions to come. I just finished disassembly and I'll scrub the bore first and get some pics of that.
The front sight seems loose in its dovetail and there is no set screw like the mk 1*. One thing at a time...a good cleaning first.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.