Yeah, another noob with yet another identification question! Sorry.. I've been all over the web for a couple of days on this, no luck. So yeah, anyone willing to provide some info will be greatly appreciated. Hopefully I can post pics.

Inherited Springfield '03.
1) S/N = 1,357,812 ... 1930
2) Barrel = SA, bomb, 8-30
3) Bolt = F1 on the safety lug (from vishooter: 1911-mid 1914)
4) Also see pics for the "cocking piece" (also looks date range above from what I've seen)
5) Stock = Scant, P proof forward of "pistol grip" no circle or square. "S" in the cut-off indention. I understand the scant stock was only on rebuilds, and the P by itself means rebuilt (?).
6) no other markings on the stock visible.
7) But plate is smooth with no markings.
8) Sling appears to be original, or at least aged/condition similar to the rest of the rifle.

So good, so far.
This is where I'm stuck.

Receiver marking = NS and J I or 1 and two, different typeface, un-aligned zeros.

So, it's a 1930 build, rebuilt sometime after 1942 by Springfield (from what I gather)
The receiver and barrel (bore is great btw) appear to match, but the bolt is much older.

As sihooter's page shows, the F1 mark on the bolt ended at s/n 573,848. Two questions about the bolt then: a) are the early bolts also affected by the bad heat treating, or just the receivers? b) any other known issues with the bolt mis-match?

Any info would be appreciated! I'm not trying to value this for resale, as it was my late father's in addition to my love of historic weapons, it'll be cleaned-up (JUST cleaned) and kept close for occasional fondling. I would like to know as much about it as possible though. I will try to research typical selling prices for one like it, so if I kick-off before her, my wife will know what to ask for it

Thanks in advance!

FYI: I also inherited my father's Garand, Mod 98/K98icon, M1icon Carbine as well as an ornate engraved Mauser Model 98, scoped hunting rifle that dates 1940. I'll be all over this forum digging for info for some time to come.... not a hit and run poster here!

As it's disassembled at the moment, here's a pic that includes the 1903.
(the Carbine cleaned-up (no sanding) with mineral spirits, just prior to raw linseed ... )

Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.