My dad gave me his SA 1903, I researched it and this is what I found.
1) It was manufactured in 1905 (SN 107,***)
2) Barrel is dated 11-10
3) Sporter stock
4) He acquired it in 58-60 timeframe and has never shot it.
5) We have read about the heat treat issues on the early models which recommends not to shoot them.
6) Barrel length is 23" +/-

I would like to get it back to as close to original as possible. I have researched stocks but usually can't get an answer if it would fit my rifle. So if anyone can help, I would appreciate it.
1) Did the original stock for a 1905 manufacture have the hand grip notch on the side of the stock?
2) What cartouches should be on an 1905 stock?
3) What would I need to look for when looking at a stock that would fit the early model? Will they all fit? I see a few different models over the years.
4) Rifle is in pretty decent condition, no rust/pitting, bore is shiny, doesn't look like it was ever re-blued. It has been stored away for the last 60+ years. So, an original stock would be anywhere from $250-$400, I would assume that that would increase the value tremendously, what would be an expected price range for this early rifle, A) Ballpark # as is in a sporter stock and B) Ballpark # if put back close to original old stock.

Much appreciate your time. Thanks.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.