Even though some said "It's a nice sporter, leave it alone." a sporter wasn't what I wanted. I picked this sporter up gun up few weeks a go and after a few prayers went to work. I removed the rubber recoil pad, stripped off the shiny lacquer finish and removed the sling swivels. It was a challenge and I did some things I've never tried before, like shortening a handguard and carving by hand the inlets to allow it to fit over the receiver on one end and under the barrel band on the other. I hand carved an inlet to allow the steel buttplate to fit the stock too. I also plugged holes that were made from aftermarket sling swivels. Finally, I gave her 3 nice coats of BLOicon and ended up with 2 coats of Tom's 1/3 mix. I have to admit, I'm amazed by how well this turned out. Here are some pics. The first one is the rifle before any mods by me. The fifth one is the handguard before I started it's modifications.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.