It has been a long time since posting. But today I walked upon a road side estate sale and the kids were selling granpa's collection dirt cheap. After grabbing a sporterized and really nice Arisakaicon 99; I found this little portly Mauser.

The barrel is just stamped 7mm. Most of the parts are matching. I really like the original looking sights. You can tell by the step barrel this was not the original stock. But it definitely screamed military right down to the steel butt plate

Reading the intertubes seems to indicate many folks have bad impressions of this rifle. The bolt reminds me to the various cock on close Mausers I love from Husqvarna and sundry other pre-model 98's I've enjoyed.

I am a bit confused. The intertubes mostly say these were converted to fire 7.62x51 NATO. A .30 bore this is not! If it is a 7mm as the hole in the barrel says; what cartridge would this be?

Lastly if I restore this back to milsurp; there seems to be parts missing on the front sight. Which is a solid steel post that has one hole that appears something mounted too. And the barrel end is stepped as if a muzzle device or maybe a bayonet mount went there?

Anyway; any thoughts would be appreciated.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.