I am thinking about a possible restoration project project involving a Winchester P17. The rifle is for sale at a local gun store and price negotiation is in progress. I'm thinking I can pick it up for 100-150. The metal is rough but no rust. Bolt is a little sticky, but it is pretty obvious this gun hasn't seen a service in a very long time. The bore is dark but no signs of pitting and the rifling looks good. The front and rear sights are there with the front sight missing the protective ears. The butt plate and rear swivel are there. "Bubba" had his way with the stock. It has been carved and shaved down to just about nothing. It will definitely need new wood (all three pieces), lower band, upper band, handguard ring and front sight protectors. The metal, while rust free, looks a little rough and may need to be re-finished (bluing or parkerized?).

I know it will not be a true collectors piece, but will it be the worth the the approximately $600 it will take to bring it back to its original form? Anything I should look for prior to purchase that would scream "I cant be fixed!"? Should I completely take it back to original with new wood and the metal parts refinished or keep it in original condition and try to match that condition with parts that match its original condition? thank you for your advice.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.