Let me preface:

I have had this rifle for about seven years, during which time it has had about 60 rounds of PPU through it.

I have never accuracy tested it, merely shot at steel gongs (24"x24") out to 300yds.

On a whim, I decided to get a borescope and see what it up, since it will be useful for my other milsurps from other countries.

First thing to note: the camera turns everything bluish with the LEDs.

Just with my ole failing MK1 eyeball, the bore looks dark, but I can see what looks like very strong rifling; so I stuck the camera inside and found this.

Right before the crown (you can see the inner crown/bore)
Attachment 116721
Going backwards from muzzle to chamber
Attachment 116724Attachment 116725Attachment 116726
I have no idea what the bits sticking above the lands are. I would guess dust or fibers from a bore mop after failing to remove copper?

Chamber
Attachment 116722
Throat
Attachment 116723

Apologies, the pictures arent great, but they are the limit of my dirt cheap USB borescope.

The rifle is all numbers matching in same font, appears to be Ishapore refit in 40 and again in 41 (left side) Forend is missing numbers, but sight leaf, bolt, barrel (sort of?), nosecap, and action are all matching. THe Magazine is force matched with a straight line through the old serial. Not sure if the rifle started in Ishapore since the left hand side of the receiver is marked 'Enfield Rifleicon MKIII 3332 U.K. or something similar. Very hard to read.

Anyway, the barrel is part of the refit because on the underside of the chamber there is a different serial stamped in. Is this barrel worth using, or is it scrap? There are NOS MK3 barrels out there for under $200USD so if I can extend the rifle's life, I might hit up BDLicon and see what he can do.

I'm just not sure how this looks compared to your average FR rifle or if its even worth shooting. And what the heck are those things going across the lands?!

I know I will need to scrub the bore and chamber more, but would greatly appreciate any input folks can provide. Thanks! Yes, I believe that is still some grease in the rails and extractor groove.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.