+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Winchester M1917 in box of parts, looking for gunsmith, need barrel.

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
  1. #1
    Member waw44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Last On
    Yesterday @ 09:26 PM
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    27
    Local Date
    10-16-2021
    Local Time
    03:09 PM

    Winchester M1917 in box of parts, looking for gunsmith, need barrel.

    So the box of parts that had the FN49 actions in it also had everything to put this together. At first I thought all I had was the receiver and the sights and stripped bolt, but then I dug into the zip lock bag of small parts that was in the box and it gave up everything else! Winchester receiver, stock and bands, Eddystone bolt... Now, who could help me figure out whether this can be restored, reblued and made into a shooter once I find a usable barrel? Any recommendations?

    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P14 and M1917.PNG‎
Views:	191
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	117524   Click image for larger version

Name:	m1917side.PNG‎
Views:	187
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	117525   Click image for larger version

Name:	m1917top.PNG‎
Views:	204
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	117526  
    Last edited by waw44; 05-17-2021 at 01:48 PM.

  2. # ADS
    Friends and Sponsors
    Join Date
    October 2006
    Location
    Milsurps.Com
    Posts
    All Threads
    Manufacturer of various vintage rifle scopes for the 1903 such as our M73G4 (reproduction of the Weaver 330C) and Malcolm 8X Gen II (Unertl reproduction). Several of our scopes are used in the CMP Vintage Sniper competition on top of 1903 rifles.LIMITED TIME OFFER FROM THE AMERICAN GUNSMITHING INSTITUTE: Get Immediate Online Access To AGI's NEW Armorer's Course for Glock Pistols, Covering Every Generation of Glocks, Including the Latest Model 42/43 and Double Stack Pistols for ONLY $7.00! Brian Dick ... BDL Ltd. - Specializing in British and Commonwealth weapons Chuck in Denver ... Buy-Sell-Trade .. Guns, Cars Motorcycles Your source for the finest in High Power Competition Gear. Here at T-bones Shipwrighting we specialise in vintage service rifle: re-barrelling, bedding, repairs, modifications and accurizing. We also provide importation services for firearms, parts and weapons, for both private or commercial businesses.
     

  3. #2
    Contributing Member ssgross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Last On
    Today @ 01:43 PM
    Location
    Virginia Swamp
    Posts
    828
    Local Date
    10-16-2021
    Local Time
    06:09 PM
    new barrels are in stock at CMPicon https://estore.thecmp.org/Catalog/Item/065CRI/1917
    They are a few months behind on fulfillment, so while you wait you can clean up your parts and work on smoothing out fit and function. A fine sandblasting and re-bluing will make it a pretty shooter. looks like you have some duplicate parts so you can be choosy .

    chuckndenver does a great job at bluing or parkerizing, among other things. He usually has an ad on forum - warpath vintage llc.

  4. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
  5. #3
    Member waw44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Last On
    Yesterday @ 09:26 PM
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    27
    Local Date
    10-16-2021
    Local Time
    03:09 PM
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by ssgross View Post
    new barrels are in stock at CMPicon https://estore.thecmp.org/Catalog/Item/065CRI/1917
    They are a few months behind on fulfillment, so while you wait you can clean up your parts and work on smoothing out fit and function. A fine sandblasting and re-bluing will make it a pretty shooter. looks like you have some duplicate parts so you can be choosy .

    chuckndenver does a great job at bluing or parkerizing, among other things. He usually has an ad on forum - warpath vintage llc.
    Thanks! Already sent a note to Chuck. I have some trade fodder, so I'm hoping someone has a M1917 barrel they would wan to trade before I pay for the CMP one, but it's a good option.

  6. #4
    Advisory Panel browningautorifle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last On
    Today @ 02:42 PM
    Location
    Victoria BC
    Posts
    26,357
    Local Date
    10-16-2021
    Local Time
    03:09 PM
    Is that left hand front band in the pic a 1903 front band? The stocks look like an M1917(bottom) and a DP P14 stock (top). Yes, I'd send it to Chuck with what you have, a Criterion barrel would be a good shooter. Out of stock but they'll be back... M1917 ENFIELD BARREL, 30-06 - Criterion Barrels
    Regards, Jim

  7. #5
    Member waw44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Last On
    Yesterday @ 09:26 PM
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    27
    Local Date
    10-16-2021
    Local Time
    03:09 PM
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by browningautorifleicon View Post
    Is that left hand front band in the pic a 1903 front band? The stocks look like an M1917(bottom) and a DP P14 stock (top). Yes, I'd send it to Chuck with what you have, a Criterion barrel would be a good shooter. Out of stock but they'll be back... M1917 ENFIELD BARREL, 30-06 - Criterion Barrels
    The band, maybe. The box came with some 03 parts as well. Yes, I got a P14 stock and metal in the same box of parts. I will be selling/trading it and some other parts to fund the m1917 restoration.
    Last edited by waw44; 05-17-2021 at 03:39 PM.

  8. Thank You to waw44 For This Useful Post:


  9. #6
    Advisory Panel tiriaq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last On
    Today @ 01:55 PM
    Location
    Central Ontario
    Age
    75
    Posts
    955
    Local Date
    10-16-2021
    Local Time
    06:09 PM
    I used one of those Indian DP stocks in the restoration of a sported rifle. To repair the notches where the pin was inserted and welded through the barrel, I did armorer's style inlays. Simple rectangular blocks inlayed. I have seen stocks repaired with semi-circular patches. Doesn't work, looks bad, really obvious what was done.

  10. #7
    Member waw44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Last On
    Yesterday @ 09:26 PM
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    27
    Local Date
    10-16-2021
    Local Time
    03:09 PM
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by tiriaq View Post
    I used one of those Indian DP stocks in the restoration of a sported rifle. To repair the notches where the pin was inserted and welded through the barrel, I did armorer's style inlays. Simple rectangular blocks inlayed. I have seen stocks repaired with semi-circular patches. Doesn't work, looks bad, really obvious what was done.
    Yes, if you look at the P14 stock Liberty Tree had for sale they have arsenal repairs in exactly that style, rectangular patches.

  11. #8
    Advisory Panel browningautorifle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last On
    Today @ 02:42 PM
    Location
    Victoria BC
    Posts
    26,357
    Local Date
    10-16-2021
    Local Time
    03:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tiriaq View Post
    rectangular blocks inlayed.
    That would look like regular repairs too...would look right.
    Regards, Jim

  12. #9
    Contributing Member ssgross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Last On
    Today @ 01:43 PM
    Location
    Virginia Swamp
    Posts
    828
    Local Date
    10-16-2021
    Local Time
    06:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by browningautorifleicon View Post
    Out of stock but they'll be back...
    I called CMPicon a while back...if their site says in stock, regardless of how long it takes to them to fulfill, they are in stock in their facility ready to ship, not backordered.
    I heard rumors Criterion was going to stop making military barrels, focusing instead AR's and the like. Source of this rumor I'd say is reliable, maybe he'll chime in and post here where he heard it from...

  13. Thank You to ssgross For This Useful Post:


  14. #10
    Member waw44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Last On
    Yesterday @ 09:26 PM
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    27
    Local Date
    10-16-2021
    Local Time
    03:09 PM
    Thread Starter
    CMPicon estore showed 4 in stock, I placed my order, now shows 3...

    Quote Originally Posted by ssgross View Post
    I called CMP a while back...if their site says in stock, regardless of how long it takes to them to fulfill, they are in stock in their facility ready to ship, not backordered.
    I heard rumors Criterion was going to stop making military barrels, focusing instead AR's and the like. Source of this rumor I'd say is reliable, maybe he'll chime in and post here where he heard it from...

  15. The Following 2 Members Say Thank You to waw44 For This Useful Post:


+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Winchester M1917
    By Hallcules in forum Pattern 1913/1914 and M1917 Rifles
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-29-2020, 03:24 PM
  2. Winchester model 12 trainer, skeet or parts of parts?
    By schlitzguzzler in forum Military Shotguns
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-04-2011, 09:25 PM
  3. Winchester US M1917
    By Len in forum Pattern 1913/1914 and M1917 Rifles
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-25-2011, 10:47 PM
  4. My new M1917 Winchester
    By LeagleEagle in forum Pattern 1913/1914 and M1917 Rifles
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-05-2010, 10:18 AM
  5. My first M1917 - Winchester
    By jls77 in forum Pattern 1913/1914 and M1917 Rifles
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-12-2010, 03:15 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts