I was at my local gun store today. I noticed what appeared to be a sporterized LE No4 MkI. It definitely was not a No5 and was clearly marked as a Longbranch No4 MkI on the receiver with a date of 1942. The barrel appeared to be a different color metal, had a later model commercial ramped front sight and there were 2 holes drilled into the top of the receiver ring (possibly for a scope?). The stock was not the standard full length forestock (it had a rounded tip painted black ending about halfway down the barrel and no upper handguard). I advised the shopkeeper that it was a sporterized rifle and he assured me he was told it was a factory correct model of the No4.

Thus, the stupid question - other than the No5, did Lee Enfield ever make and distribute a No4 rifle that did not have a full forestock and upper handguard? I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but as I have already learned, the cool thing about LE's is that there are all kinds of variants and I don't know them all. Thanks!
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.