There's a rather extensive article on the M1icon rifle by Brian Pearce in the Aug. 21 issue (#333). I am wondering what members here think of it. Do his opinions have merit?

My first complaint is that he indicates the rifle is loaded with "stripper clips". That may be a minor nomenclature issue but I think detail is important.

The author goes on to create the impression that the M1 is rather delicate. He dwells on slam-fires and the usual admonition to use medium burn-range powders. I routinely use IMR4895 burn-range powders but was under the impression that the M1 was designed to avoid slam-fires??

My rifles are a rack grade HRA and a service grade Springfield from the CMPicon plus a WWII issue Winchester. The other 4 rifles, belonging to friends, include 3 Springfields and a Winchester. One of the Springfields was an early (1960's) release built around a re-weld receiver. The owner of that one was a USMC sergeant and he shot everything in that rifle regardless of bullet weight or powder type! As far as I know, he had little trouble with it and, when I borrowed it for range sessions, I had no trouble with it either.

I have settled on 50 gr. of IMR4895 with a 150 gr. bullet and 48 gr. of IMR4064 with a 168 gr. bullet. My range sessions almost always include an Oehler 35P chronograph. I have collected a good bit of data on 7 M1 rifles. The average velocity of the 150 gr. load from my 3 rifles is 2721 fps. The author claims 2903 from a similar load! Again, my 3 rifles chrono 2579 fps with my 168 gr. load while the author lists 2718 for a similar load.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.