I could use a little more information on the STEN MkV. I haven't been able to buy "The Sten Machine Carbine" now that it is trading at over $500, but I was interested in when some production variations changed over.

I do know that the nomenclature marking changed from "Mk V" to "Mk 5" in September 1944, but were Mk V's numbers matching from the factory on the magazine housing, bolt, and buttstock? I have seen quite a few bolts with serial numbers electropenciled on them. I have also seen quite a few buttstocks where the stock socket has a lined out number on it and has been restamped with a new serial number, presumably in a rebuild.
Also was the type of buttstock with the extra metal reinforcing on the socket for the wood an earlier or later design?

Most importantly was the flat sheet steel buttplate used in production earlier or later than the stocks that use the gunmetal (brass) Enfield Rifleicon buttplate?

I have also noticed some dimensional differences in the tabs where the trigger group housings were welded to the receiver tubes. I have seen some MkV's where the forward tabs were shorter in length and also a variant where the rear tab is very narrow or rounded at the tip. Excluding the huge tabs and obvious fabrication differences of the POFicon made Stens; are these changes traceable to a production timeline?

Attachment 118936
Attachment 118933
Attachment 118935
Attachment 118934
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.