Hello folks,
I have finally acquired the parts to build a Ross M10. I essentially traded these for a No 5, but that's another story. I'd appreciate any advice on what level of restoration on the stock is sensible, or indeed ethical.

My thoughts - I will preserve all the cartouches, because it seems an interesting collection (Any comments on these definitely appreciated). Although they won't be representative of the history of the rifle I build.

Since the donor rifle is a DP, and the resulting rifle should be shootable, what should I do with the red DP stripes? Should I leave them? Remove them carefully?

I know there is a strong "don't do anything that will affect value" sensibility in the Milsurp community, but I am making up a shooter, which presumably removes almost all collector value anyway. But equally I'm not going to strip it and sand it back to oblivion. Hopefully there is a sensible compromise solution.

I'm considering adding a note in the buttstock cavity outlining whatever I do for future posterity, and so the rifle's true story isn't confused.

Cheers,
Burton

Attachment 119553Attachment 119554Attachment 119555
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.