First I would Like to introduce myself as I am new here. I am a well seasoned Collector of interesting guns and stuff. I should have joined up years ago.

I picked up this 1903 28 inch Heavy Barrel T Model today. Serial Number 1314415. From What I can see it is a 1929 gun going by the serial number. The number falls in with a number of other target models. The gun looks good to me with a few exceptions. Obviously it needs a buttplate. It had a lace on leather pad at one time but it had come apart. I believe it has been reblued. There was a 1999 repair tag with it stating " remove rust and touch up ". There are a few small spots of minor pitting on the barrel that have been cleaned and blued over. The wood looks great and untouched. The bolt sleeve is a bit of an odd color sort of like case colored? It has the headless cocking piece and reverse safety. The bolt is numbered to the receiver. The trigger guard looks polished and blued as well.

My questions: What type of buttplate is correct for this gun and does anyone know where I might obtain one? If anyone has a similar gun can you measure from the back of the trigger guard bow to the end of the wood so i can tell if this has been shortened any. Mine measures 12 and 1/4 inches.

Was the interior of the receiver polished? The top of the follower is polished off but not the rest of it, is this correct?

Is the bolt sleeve the correct finish.

What type of front sight would be most correct? I have several Lyman Globes and a Winchester Globe with windage adjustment that will fit the dovetail.

I have put a Winchester A-5 scope on it and that seems to give it a completed look. According to Brophy that should be an OK scope for the gun.

There is a 3 digit number on the bottom of the barrel. Is that the star gauge number?

Thanks for your help on this one. I do have plenty of other interesting guns to share at some point.

Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.