So I am new to trapdoors and was at a military show and saw what I thought was a neat project for really cheap ($150) but missing a lot of parts. Figured I would get the parts together eventually to bring it back to life, albeit as a mixmaster. 1881 dated stock, 1873 action. Breech block has the cam, but missing the lever part of the cam. no firing pin, no lock assembly. Im a sucker for project guns and trying to bring them back to life.

Well when I got it home I noticed there amongst the protective grease on the barrel was two small holes at the end of the barrel on the right side that I didn't see before (plugged with grease, so mostly obscured).

Doing some research seems I bought a fencing model trapdoor. Which seems to be a surplus trapdoor that the government shortened the barrel, drilled holes in the end for a fake bayonet to be attached, milled off the ejector tip , milled off the front barrel band swivel, and milled off the cam lever to "inactivate" it so it could be used for bayonet practice in the early 1900s.

Does anyone have any info on this other than what I seem to have found? Are they collectable at all?

Any idea on any value in it, or did I get hosed? Well not hosed per se, as I bought it without having the proper knowledge so it would be my fault. Any value in the parts at all?

Thanks
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.