I have a Winchester M1917 thats in decent condition, and an Enfield No.1 Mk.3 that is in decent condition also but is extremely dirty, wood metal and all.

First, I'm wondering what these rifles were likely finished with originally, I can't really tell if they have a finish or not, they just have that common reddish brown hue, but no glossy clear sheen. I'm assuming this means they were probably just oil finished when originally in use.

Second, since the Winchester isn't that dirty, I'm wondering if I should just use some Murphy's oil soap to clean it up, and then top off with a little BLOicon/Tung oil or wax.

and for the Enfield, since it is very dirty, if I should use the same process as the winchester but more vigorously, or if I should do something different altogether.

Don't have any experience refinishing rifle stocks or restoring them, but I don't want to refinish these, I just want to clean them up and then put a coat of protection on afterward. I know there is a lot of information online regarding this, but different sites/threads say different things so I'm wondering what you all recommend. Thanks.
Also why I asked if anyone has an idea of what they may have been finished with in the past, since certain products only are really good if the wood is unfinished.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.