I recently received a Koshikawa Type 38 from a friend who was asking me to refurbish it. The rifle was missing the safety/cocking knob, firing pin and firing pin spring (all ordered and on the way). Overall, there wasn't anything special about the rifle itself seeing as the Mum was also scrubbed. What was interesting is that it came with a bayonet (Nagoya in excellent condition, and even better, a canvas sling with a cloth label showing Japaneseicon kanji characters. I did some light research and I could find very few pictures of these slings on the internet.

I had heard of these slings but had never seen one. It is in really good shape other than some rust on the buckle and wire attachments. The canvas is in excellent shape and very pliable. I shared photos of it with a trusted expert on this forum and he confirmed it was a genuine late-war sling for a Type 2 paratrooper rifle (see attached photos).

My question is, what is the best way to preserve this piece of history? When I return it to the owner, I would like to advise him reference how to care for this special piece (and if he will sell it to me, then I want to know for myself!). Also, if I were to make an offer, what would be considered fair? As always, your advice and recommendations are truly appreciated!
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.