So I got a good deal on this colt A2 upper. Surprised how good of shape it was in. My first time doing an AR from scratch. It was way easier than building a Garandicon or 1903!

I just wanted to build a shooter - nothing special - just a govt. spec A2 like what I carried for a bit of nostalgia and for the kids to plink with. Been wanting to do this for a while, but A2 uppers have been very scarce lately.
So I bought a new FN 20" govt. profile barrel. I didn't want to hassle with drilling the taper pins for the front sight. I found one store that sold the assembly, with a cheap monstrom stripped flat top upper attached, for only $50 more than the price of a stripped barrel anywhere else. Figured I'd sell the stripped upper or use it later.

I was about to pat myself on the back and look forward to shooting this week, then I patched out the factory grease and took a peek in the bore.

There is a spot where there is no chrome!, and it's right against the crown! Likely there was a drop of oil there when they did the plating? Further inspection showed normal tooling marks and in general the surface certainly looked brand new, except for some scattered imperfections - like pitting. Here is the worst spot, about 2" behind the gas port. There are maybe a dozen spots similar to this.

I sent the company an email with pics and asked for an exchange.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.