Hello all, I recently picked up a nice looking Carcano carbine. Based on a bit of research with the serial number the rifle appears to have been made in 1943. When I got the rifle the bayonet latch was broken and missing its spring but thankfully, I found a place that sells new reproduction parts which work perfectly. I also managed to wrangle up six brass clips, a box of 50 1940 dated surplus cartridges, 5 boxes of PPU ammunition, a box of Hornady 160gr bullets, and a Lee die set.

I did some reading on the surplus ammo and it seems like most of it has bad primers but the Solenite powder was pretty reliable. So instead of trying to shoot the surplus I came up with the fun idea of remanufacturing the old cartridges. I pulled the bullets and powder from the old cartridges then put them in some once fired PPU brass with Fed 215 primers. For those curious, I ran three of these over the chronograph and the velocities were 2118, 2124, and 2094.

I havent had a chance to shoot it at paper yet (the weather sucks) but im hoping for a nice weekend soon.

One question, both the surplus ammunition and the full length sized reloads are sort of tight fits in the gun. The PPU chambers smoothly but it takes a bit of force to rotate the bolt closed on the surplus and hand loads. Any idea what might be going on here?

-Matt
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.