Real Name
    A. G.
    Local Date
    04-29-2024
    Local Time
    12:01 AM

Ishapore Mk I***

Hello all,

In the past year, I put three rifles back into military configuration, using a mix of repro and original parts. One was a SMLE Mk I*, an SMLE Mk I***, and an SMLE Mk V. They were enjoyable, therapeutic projects. I made myself a New Years resolution not to rescue any more rifles.

Well, I made it exactly 17 days into 2022 before breaking that resolution. The owner of a local gunshop called me and said he had a sporterized Enfield for sale. He said it was an Indian produced rifle. I was mildly interested until he said it had a "weird peep sight" that folded along the left side. This immediately got my attention. I asked if the rifle had a charger bridge, and he said it didn't. I asked if the serial number began with a CR, an ER, or a G. He said it was a CR prefix serial number. Later, he texted me pics, and I couldn't believe my eyes; it was an Ishapore Mk I* IP later upgraded to I***, made in 1908. Only approximately 3000 were ever made. I made it over to his shop and wound up buying it for $300.

Unfortunately, it had been horribly sporterized. The forend was in awful shape. When I took it apart, I saw the draws were pulp, so I knew I wasn't going to be able to salvage it. It was also missing the sliding charger guide for the bolt, the volley sight plate, a magazine, and other small parts. I had most of the parts needed (magazine, Mk I nosecap, cut-off). I also had an SMLE Mk III forend with volley sight cut-outs I had been hoarding for about 30 years. I pulled this out of the garage rafters and remembered why I hadn't used it earlier; it was in dire need of repair. So I set about repairing the cracks, draws, and patching in missing wood. I thought it was a shame to lose the original serial numbered forend. So I cut out the serial number, and used it as a patch in the stock where the SMLE Mk III sight base would normally occupy. I was able to source a sliding charger from a fellow collector, and between my spare parts bin and Apex Gun Parts, I was able to get this rifle back to looking like it should. As the CR-prefix Mk I***'s had many Mk III characteristics, it does look the proper part.

Hope you enjoy the pics.

The rifle as i bought it.

The wood repair, replaced draws, and patches.

The completed rifle
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by smle addict; 03-06-2022 at 02:59 AM.

2. The Following 8 Members Say Thank You to smle addict For This Useful Post: