I've wanted one of these for years and found one today I couldn't pass up for the price, $249.00.

Of course I didn't have my manuals with me so I sat there in the store watching videos for half an hour, gave Mike a call and he talked me into it.

It appears to have an original Ross barrel on it but it doesn't seat right, almost like it was set back a half inch. Condition of the barrel bore is outstanding so no idea why they would do this. Length is 27 1/2" as measured with a rod against the bolt head. We guestimated it at 28" at the gunshop which is why I thought it was good. Index marks are good but the proofs are cut off. It also looks like the sights were moved forward a half inch on the barrel. The barrel has been removed, there are score marks on it. Stock looks like a standard sporterized cut down forearm. All parts are there except the small rear top hand guard, the front band, the sight hood and the cut off portion of the stock. the stock has been sanded to death and has a crack on one side most likely due to being so thin there.

I can't find any photos on the web but did find two rifles identified as US property that were listed as 27 1/2" barrels. I can't get the barrel to come off by hand. May try more over the weekend but pretty positive it is a Ross barrel, just can't see how they re-indexed it, it has a rather unique attachment system. It does have the rear sight that seems standard on the US rifles and it is in 303 or at least a 303 cartridge fits. Haven't decided what I want to do with it yet. As long as it's safe as is, I'll probably keep it, clean it up and watch for the next 10 years for a bayonet lug/front band and then carve a stock extension for it. Bore is bright with crisp rifling so it should at least be a good shooter.

Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.