Hello fellow Ross rifle owners. I recently acquired a Ross MkIII for my First World War infantry rifle collection. The rifle is turning out to have a number of issues that must be addressed before I can shoot the rifle and getting it disassembled for inspection is proving to be difficult. I have followed the proper disassembly procedure for the bolt, removing the extractor, cocking piece, and even safety lever+detent but when I then try to remove the bolt from the bolt sleeve an issue arises. The bolt will come to its fully-extended position as when normally assembled, but will not come out any further, so I am unable to fully remove it from the sleeve. From the videos I have watched it should just continue to unscrew as it comes out of the forward end of the bolt sleeve, but instead it seems to reach a hard stop. It can rotate about 5° at that most extended position, but does not perform any forward or rearward motion when doing so. This bolt sleeve does not have the rivet installed, and the rifle was probably one used for police/drill duties in India. The previous owner claimed to have shot it and that it had no mechanical issues.

Thoughts?
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.