+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: I remember when we used to shoot them.

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Hybrid View

Last On
    06-05-2022 @ 11:44 AM
    Local Date
    05-06-2024
    Local Time
    08:38 PM

I remember when we used to shoot them.

Back in the late 60s & early 70s my father and I used to shoot these old guys....the rifle ...45 cal approx. was quite accurate.
    A Pennsylvania style rifle with a Joseph Manton "Warranted” lock.

The Wheeler & Son English pistol (approx ..64 cal.) might have been lethal at very close range ….perhaps?

I still have the powder, caps and balls for these guns.....but they have been quiet for a long time.

It was great fun……I guess I miss it.

David

Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

2. The Following 3 Members Say Thank You to drm2m For This Useful Post:

(Deceased April 21, 2018) John Sukey (Deceased)'s Avatar
    Last On
    05-14-2012 @ 06:03 PM
    Local Date
    05-06-2024
    Local Time
    05:38 PM
    Time you went to the range again

4. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
    Last On
    Local Date
    05-06-2024
    Local Time
    John,

My dad died in 1979….I did most of my shooting while he was alive.
    He was more of a shooter…..I became more of a collector.

Our gun laws became more restrictive in Canadaicon since then.
    I have not encouraged my two sons to become gun guys.

My collection has gone in "wildly different" directions since 1979…but U.S. Civil War stuff remains at the top of my weakness.

You are right…I should probably get back to the range…although in Canada the guns shown below will probably never see the range????

Having said that....when and if I go back... it will probably be with a .22 cal. pistol or rifle?

David

Last edited by drm2m; 04-06-2009 at 09:33 PM.

Last On
    05-04-2024 @ 06:05 PM
    Local Date
    05-06-2024
    Local Time
    07:38 PM
    now im really envious. very nice stg44 and mp40. if i remember right, canada law you can own them, but cant shoot them anywhere??? What if a friend has alot of land, could be brought there to be used??

Last On
    Local Date
    05-06-2024
    Local Time
    Matt,

From what I understand of the Canadianicon regulations....you cannot get a permit to transport them anywhere except to a licensed gun smith …. or the police.

I you owned a large property (out your back door) in a municipality that permitted firing firearms ...perhaps???

I first saw the gun shown below being fired on the seller's property on a farm in Ontario before I bought it.

David

Last On
    05-04-2024 @ 06:05 PM
    Local Date
    05-06-2024
    Local Time
    damn shame cant use them very nice collection still to say the least. unfortunately prices for that stuff here is well out of my budget, and must settle for semiauto versions.

(Deceased April 21, 2018) John Sukey (Deceased)'s Avatar
    Last On
    05-14-2012 @ 06:03 PM
    Local Date
    05-06-2024
    Local Time
    05:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by drm2m View Post
    John,

My dad died in 1979….I did most of my shooting while he was alive.
    He was more of a shooter…..I became more of a collector.

Our gun laws became more restrictive in Canadaicon since then.
    I have not encouraged my two sons to become gun guys.

My collection has gone in "wildly different" directions since 1979…but U.S. Civil War stuff remains at the top of my weakness.

You are right…I should probably get back to the range…although in Canada the guns shown below will probably never see the range????

Having said that....when and if I go back... it will probably be with a .22 cal. pistol or rifle?

David

Brought back memories. In high school, MANY MANY Moons ago, I was offered a Sturmgeschutz. Actualy allowed to take it home, but had to give it back cause I couldn't come up with the $35.

Was offered the second gun for $125 years later, but NO paperwork, I knew better by then. The other one I had to give up was the 20mm aircraft cannon because my father wouldn't let me bring it in the house What the heck, it was ONLY 8ft long and a bit rusty.

FREE MEMBER
    NO Posting or PM's Allowed
    Last On
    01-30-2012 @ 07:40 AM
    Local Date
    05-06-2024
    Local Time
    Back in the 1970s while working out in California, I happened to get hooked up with a Civil War / Indian War group. Back then, many of us had original guns that we used for blank and some live firing.

Remember using an 1860 Colt revolver that I had picked up from a man in Costa Mesa. He used to get many former movie prop guns used in the old westerns. That was one of those . . . "Wish I had kept it" things. The 1860 was finished in a worn "nickel" wash. There were two crossed arrows with the initials U.S.iconS. underneath. Later on, the 1860 Colt was identified as being marked for the United States Scouts. Actually packed that cap n' ball pistol up into the high desert above Victorville back in 75'.

Always kept some .44 caliber ball, wads and grease packed in the saddle bag just in case. Also had about 20-rounds of fresh live 45-70 blackpowder rounds for the carbine too. They might have been antique guns but still lethal weapons if needed.

We also had original trapdoor carbines, rifles and 1860s muzzleloader Springfield muskets. There were Sharps and Spencer carbines too. Rigged one of the Spencer Carbines to shoot blanks using cut down 50-70 brass cases. The thing actually fed from the magazine tube. That was a rush! After a make believe gun fight on the boarded sidewalks of an old movie set town, there would be choking billows of dense gun smoke hanging in the stagnant desert air. Sometimes a person could hardly see the hand of front of him.

Got to fire some of the weapons from horseback. They'd hire out these movie studio horses that were trained not to get spooked by gun fire. You'd signal to the horse with your knees that weapon fire was about to happen. The animal would brace himself with both front legs and get steady. Pop! Pop! Wow! I was shooting from the saddle just like in a John Wayne movie! Yee haw!!!

It's a wonder that some of those Civil War era handguns didn't just blow apart on us. Can't recall being all that careful with not overloading those open frame hundred year old revolvers with fist fulls of black powder.

Was younger and better looking then and much less wise. Had lots of fun though!

Last edited by Capt Quahog; 05-03-2009 at 02:00 PM.

Last On
    10-01-2020 @ 04:27 PM
    Local Date
    05-07-2024
    Local Time
    02:38 AM
    Hi drm2m! Ya, it's time you went back to the shooting range . Nice couple!!!

Blackcat

dogtag
    You can't overload with BP. The cases were meant to be full.
    Of course, if you stuff in 4F, all bets are off.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast