Gentlemen,

I'd like to learn about the L47A1, the 7.65mm Walther PP procured by the MoD during the Cold War.

There's a little info online about the L66A1, a Walther PP issued in .22LR as a personal protection weapon to members of the Ulster Defense Regiment, but nothing about the L47A1, except that it was issued to RAF aircrew as an E&E weapon.

Both pistols were bought directly from the Germans. The L66A1 was proofed by the Germanicon military, but never received Briitsh markings, even when surplussed and exported.

Here are some of the things I'm curious about:

- When was it procured, and in what timeframe was it used (it may still be in service)?
- How many were procured?
- What is its serial number range? Even general numbers would be helpful.
- Who used it? Just the RAF, or others as well?
- Does it have any characteristics that distinguish it from other Walther PPs from the Cold War period?
- Is there any associated equipment, i.e. holsters special cleaning kits, suppressors, etc.?

Beyond these questions, any tidbits you discover would be interesting on both of these Walthers.

This forum came to mind when I discovered that the L66A1 pistols were sold with their original black plastic Walther boxes, and I found a photo of one with a sticker similar (different dimensions) to the turn-in stickers on the transit chests of L42A1 rifles sent to Donnington.

There are about 1500 of the L66A1 personal defense weapons here in the US, but nobody knows about the L47A1s.

I appreciate any scrap of info the group can find, and any contact you can refer me to.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.