Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Threaded View

Last On
    03-15-2023 @ 06:15 PM
    Local Date
    05-04-2024
    Local Time
    08:07 PM
    I wonder if Steve has ever seen a T&O table. A quick reference from Wikipedia:

"The United Statesicon Marine Corps's Amphibious Reconnaissance Battalion, formerly Company, was a specialized team of Marines and Navy Corpsmen that performed clandestine preliminary pre–D-Day amphibious reconnaissance of planned beachheads and their littoral area within uncharted enemy territory for the joint-Navy/Marine force commanders of the Pacific Fleet during World War II. Often accompanied by Navy Underwater Demolition Teams and the early division recon companies, these amphib recon platoons performed more reconnaissance missions (over 150) than any other single recon unit during the Pacific campaigns[1]".

Note ""early division recon companies", so they did indeed exist. I hope this clears up Steve's mental confusion.

"But I think it's like in this post where Jim said the WWII Marine Snipers weren't used in Reconnaissance." I never said any such thing. Steve tends to see things that don't exist. I clearly said snipers did recon, but I also said their PRIMARY job was to eliminate the enemy.

The Marines didn't create three sniper schools because they didn't use snipers as snipers. Intel gathering applies to every Marine. That does not change the focus of the tasks assigned various units, such as Scout-Snipers.

The Amfib Recon Battalion performed pre D-Day recon. I use the reference only to show the existence of division recon companies. I urge each reader to do their own data search.

Scout-Snipers do relate any intel they can, but their core value is the elimination of the enemy The core value of Force Recon is to gather intel without detection. Anyone who spent any time at Camp Geiger should be very knowledgeable of Force Recon. They are one tough bunch of Marines.

Steve, while you are pontificating to such an extent, this is a good time for you to give us the name of that 98 year old WWII Marine sniper/runner you spoke to. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Jim Tarleton; 01-16-2023 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Spelling

"Me. All the rest are deados!"

67th Company, 5th Marines 1st Sgt. Daniel "Pop" Hunter's response to 1st Lt. Jonas Platt's query "Who is your Commander"?, Torcy side of Hill 142, Belleau Wood, 8:00 am, 6 Jun 1918.

Semper Fidelis!