A few years ago, I ran across a nice Phrobis M9 bayonet. I thought it was a prtetty neat bayonet, so I bought it. I ended up buying a couple more over the next few months. Then, I guess I kind of lost interest and stored them away. A couple of months ago, a friend wanted to see them. He liked them and wanted me to find one for him. In the process, my interest in them was renewed. I have since, started collecting them again and actually studying a bit on them. There is a whole lot more to them that I once thought.

The other day, I bought a great book on the M9 bayonet. The book is titled AMERICAN GLADIUS. If you are a collector of M9's, and don't yet have this book, you really should get it. It's full of great information and pictures.

I'll share something that I just learned. I'm sure many of you already know this, but it is something that almost slipped past me. The first M9 that I bought was Phrobis III Pat. Pend. A few weeks back, I bought another. I noticed that the lettering on the ricassos looked a little different. I didn't think too much of it until I read in the book that there are two font variations, both narrow and wide. It's little things like this that make collecting so great.

I measured both fonts with calipers and found that there is quite a difference in them. It's not just that the narrow one has finer stamping, there is actually a difference in the width. I attached a picture for comparison. It is subtle to look at, but I think you will be able to see it. The wide font variation is on the left and the narrow on the right. I also noticed that the wide one has dots on the latch plate and lock release levers. I thought all of them had dots, but my narrow font Phrobis does not.

I just bought three a line chevron and a crazy 9. I'll post a new thread when i get them both.

Thanks for looking.

Greg V
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.