This is a project I started awhile back and finished this spring. It began with a McGowen Heavy barrel I picked up off ebay. Being it was a 1.25" tapered to 1'' I would need a custom stock of some sort. I put the barrel aside thinking that would be awhile. I have alerts on stocks and shortly there after got an alert on a Bishop stock cut for heavy barrel, exactly what I needed. It was something I didn't know Bishop even made back in the day and it wasn't hard winning that one with the huge barrel channel. It was semi inleted and needed quite a bit of fitting and contouring. That took some time and in the meanwhile I needed a donor receiver, probably an A3 already drilled and tapped for a scope mount. I used a Remington 03 bare receiver I have for the initial inletting while I went hunting for a sporterized A3. I found 3, couldn't bring myself to mess with two but the third would work. A sporterized Remington A3 with a SC 4 groove barrel in great shape which I could sell to offset the costs. Once I had all the parts and pieces I had the barrel threads cut, the muzzle crowned and the whole thing blue printed. The bolt I had picked up from another sported a couple years ago that had been polished. If it looks like an A4 bolt, you are correct, it was and I had it re blued. The trigger guard is a Springfield milled unit that has the stake marks commonly seen on Marine 03 rifles. The rest of the parts are Smith Corona and Springfield, I tried to get all represented. I ended up using a Night force scope although some of the pictures show a Leopold off my AR.
A fun project that came together with parts from some folks with the same intent that never got around to doing it. I wasn't going to fall into that trap. It shoots well and isn't picky about what you feed it.

The beginning;

The donor

First mock up

Moving along, donor mated to barrel and stock semi finished and bedding. The barrel is free floating.

With the Leopold scope and rings.

Finally with the Night force scope. I had to mill out the Weaver bases to take the rings as they are for a Picatinny rail set up. The scope weighs around 2-3 lbs and you don't want it moving. The whole set up tips the scale at 15 lbs give or take.

A couple targets;

Here's a link to the slide show with a few extra pictures. They are not coming up in order though.

Enjoy....

Kurt
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.