NO Posting or PM's Allowed
    Last On
    07-29-2015 @ 09:47 PM
    Local Date
    05-25-2024
    Local Time
    06:21 PM

How much for a Lee-Enfield?

Hello, I'm new here, but I can already say this is a great site. Lots of information. Anyway, I am looking to buy a Lee Enfield in the future and figured that I should start researching now and broadening my knowledge. So, here are my questions.
    Who made the most accurate and most durable Enfield during WWII?
    How much are all matching sniper rifles now?
    I have many more questions, but I'll try to research some more before I ask them.
    Thanks, Matthew
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

Last On
    01-30-2023 @ 05:49 PM
    Delaware county, PA just outside Philadelphia.
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Local Date
    05-25-2024
    Local Time
    05:21 PM
    First, I read your member intro and have to say it's nice to see a young man such as yourself interested in history. 14yrs old is a little young to worry about the price of No's matching No.4T snipers because they run into the thousands of dollars. Every marker made durable and accurate rifles but generally the Britishicon arsenals and the Savage rifles are more desirable. Good luck on your quest of knowledge and remember,, Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

3. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
    Last On
    09-27-2022 @ 11:12 PM
    Local Date
    05-25-2024
    Local Time
    04:21 PM
    SS Sniper: Treat yourself to a copy of the big Ian Skennertonicon book on the Lee Enfield and settle in for a month of good reading after which you'll probably know what rifle/rifles you want to chase down. All Lee Enfields started out durable and moderately to very accurate but they're all pretty old now and the challenge is finding well preserved, reasonably original (ie. as issued), and mechanically sound examples from any of the original factories. Use that book (and others) to find what interests you and study the great technical material available in this forum so that you can recognize a good example when one confronts you. Endless fun with these rifles!

Ridolpho

book title: "A Century of Lee-Metford & Lee-Enfield Rifles and Carbines", Ian Skennerton. Usually available on e-bay
    Last edited by Ridolpho; 10-16-2013 at 08:09 PM. Reason: add book title

5. Thank You to Ridolpho For This Useful Post:

ssj

Last On
    Today @ 05:54 PM
    Local Date
    05-25-2024
    Local Time
    05:21 PM
    Or go to Ian Skennertonicon's site and it and other books direct.

7. Thank You to gsimmons For This Useful Post:

FREE MEMBER
    Last On
    11-13-2017 @ 01:21 PM
    Local Date
    05-26-2024
    Local Time
    11:21 AM
    A no4 mk2 made 1949 to 1954 would be amongst the best made quality wise and most accurate, otherwise a Canadianicon post WW2 no4 mk1* rifle.

My son's 14 1/2 and shoots, ignore these oldies...nothing like knowing what you want I reckon.

---------- Post added at 01:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 PM ----------

[/COLOR]
    Quote Originally Posted by WarPig1976 View Post
    First, I read your member intro and have to say it's nice to see a young man such as yourself interested in history. 14yrs old is a little young to worry about the price of No's matching No.4T snipers because they run into the thousands of dollars. Every marker made durable and accurate rifles but generally the Britishicon arsenals and the Savage rifles are more desirable. Good luck on your quest of knowledge and remember,, Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
    Those that do, are doomed to watch those that dont, repeat it.

regards
    Last edited by ssj; 10-16-2013 at 09:05 PM.

FREE MEMBER
    Last On
    02-09-2015 @ 06:44 PM
    Local Date
    05-25-2024
    Local Time
    03:21 PM
    I checked out an No4 Mk 1 enfield at a pawn shop today. It was a sporterized version without hand guards or forestock that had the wood hacked off on the bottom stock and sanded to look more sporty. It was without any iron sights at all( only had some weird german named notch blade welded onto the barrel above the chamber). They wanted $325USD. I said politely, "No that thing is missing sights, handguard, stock and it ain't worth that to me. I wanted to trade a sks for it. They told me to give em 50USD and the sks. I said no thanks bye. Does $325USD sound like a reasonable price for a rifle without barrel bands,stock, handguard or sights? What should I look to pay for a No4 Mk1 nowadays in good condition with all it stock and hardware intact (including sights lol)? Any and all help is appreciated.

Contributing Member
    Last On
    05-16-2024 @ 07:42 PM
    Local Date
    05-25-2024
    Local Time
    11:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Budgies Guy View Post
    I checked out an No4 Mk 1 enfield at a pawn shop today. It was a sporterized version without hand guards or forestock that had the wood hacked off on the bottom stock and sanded to look more sporty. It was without any iron sights at all( only had some weird german named notch blade welded onto the barrel above the chamber). They wanted $325USD. I said politely, "No that thing is missing sights, handguard, stock and it ain't worth that to me. I wanted to trade a sks for it. They told me to give em 50USD and the sks. I said no thanks bye. Does $325USD sound like a reasonable price for a rifle without barrel bands,stock, handguard or sights? What should I look to pay for a No4 Mk1 nowadays in good condition with all it stock and hardware intact (including sights lol)? Any and all help is appreciated.

No its not worth it (unless it was a No4T)

11. Thank You to bigduke6 For This Useful Post:

ssj

FREE MEMBER
    Last On
    11-13-2017 @ 01:21 PM
    Local Date
    05-26-2024
    Local Time
    11:21 AM
    Not to me, Ppl in here have picked up first class no4 mk2s for around that money.

Last On
    Today @ 05:43 PM
    Real Name
    Steve
    Local Date
    05-25-2024
    Local Time
    06:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Budgies Guy View Post
    Sporterized like that is about $150 at best.

Last On
    11-05-2020 @ 04:12 PM
    Local Date
    05-25-2024
    Local Time
    04:21 PM
    I just got a No4 Savage with South African marks. $400. Better price than I paid for my other No4.

SS Sniper all of us have made that bad purchase at some time. I don't know if it's a completely unavoidable experience, but as everyone here has said, learn as much as you can. That is the best defense. Find a few things you want to find and stick to that first. Really get to know everything about the specific rifles you want before you start looking for them. Otherwise you're flying blind and the guy on the other side of the counter or table is always looking for the guy who will take it for top dollar.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast