05-24-2021 @ 08:44 AM
    Real Name
    Tom
    Local Date
    06-03-2024
    Local Time
    12:06 AM

Value of Ross 1910 Sporter

I just left a gun show, and sadly left behind a Ross 1910 that was for sale with a price tag on it of $200. Metal was mint, bluing near perfect, bore shiny and nice. Wood was cut down, stock had no cartouches, it was sanded smooth. I think the barrel might have been full length.

What would such an animal be worth?
    How much can a full wood original be gotten for?
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

Last On
    Yesterday @ 06:39 PM
    Local Date
    06-03-2024
    Local Time
    If the barrel was full length, in the condition you describe, I'd have grabbed it, as a barrelled action, against the day that something turned up. If the barrel was cut, $200 might be on the high side. Finding an original stock is extremely difficult. It is not a matter of how much a replacement stock would cost, its a matter of availability. If a sported rifle turned up, stock cut in front of the band, poor barrel, etc., a composite specimen could be assembled with the superior barrelled action, and the cut stock spliced. It was a sported service rifle, and not a factory sporter? A 1910R sporter has a rather plain stock. The give away is the barrel contour. A service Mk. III barrel is quite heavy, while a sporter has a relatively slender barrel. A sporter will also have a serial number stamped with rather small figures on the left of the barrel breech.

3. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
    Last On
    Real Name
    Tom
    Local Date
    06-03-2024
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by tiriaq View Post
    If the barrel was full length, in the condition you describe, I'd have grabbed it, as a barrelled action, against the day that something turned up. If the barrel was cut, $200 might be on the high side. Finding an original stock is extremely difficult. It is not a matter of how much a replacement stock would cost, its a matter of availability. If a sported rifle turned up, stock cut in front of the band, poor barrel, etc., a composite specimen could be assembled with the superior barrelled action, and the cut stock spliced. It was a sported service rifle, and not a factory sporter? A 1910R sporter has a rather plain stock. The give away is the barrel contour. A service Mk. III barrel is quite heavy, while a sporter has a relatively slender barrel. A sporter will also have a serial number stamped with rather small figures on the left of the barrel breech.
    I'm not sure if it had a cut barrel or not. The sights certainly appeared original so it may have been uncut.
    There was no serial number, he had a black CFC FIN sticker on it. Stock was very dull looking, certinly not shiny and lacquered.
    Like I said, I did have my regrets about leaving it there(still do), but I'm aware that finding full wood and metal parts would be near impossible. If I'm after a Ross, I'm thinking to grab a full wood one in the first place, pay a bit more for something that's worth it. I've read all about how the Ross's history is all stamped into the buttstock...imagine one with no history...

Last On
    Yesterday @ 06:39 PM
    Local Date
    06-03-2024
    Local Time
    That's one of the shames when a Ross' stock has been sanded down. The Ross is one of the few rifles that can sometimes be associated with a particular unit during a specific period of time. It is not unusual for sported Rosses to have had their front sights remounted with the new muzzle being lathe turned to accept the sight base. A factory style job. The long 30 1/2" barrel usually stands out.
    The only "spare" stocks that occasionally turn up are ones salvaged from the Indian DP rifles that had pins welded through their barrels - like their DP P-14s. Unfortunately, they notched the forends when they installed and welded in the pins. Given an armourer's style patch, the stocks are usable, but their origin is pretty obvious. I have found only one intact replacement stock in 5 years; it cost more than the sported rifle that I restored.

Last On
    Real Name
    Tom
    Local Date
    06-03-2024
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by tiriaq View Post
    That's one of the shames when a Ross' stock has been sanded down. The Ross is one of the few rifles that can sometimes be associated with a particular unit during a specific period of time. It is not unusual for sported Rosses to have had their front sights remounted with the new muzzle being lathe turned to accept the sight base. A factory style job. The long 30 1/2" barrel usually stands out.
    The only "spare" stocks that occasionally turn up are ones salvaged from the Indian DP rifles that had pins welded through their barrels - like their DP P-14s. Unfortunately, they notched the forends when they installed and welded in the pins. Given an armourer's style patch, the stocks are usable, but their origin is pretty obvious. I have found only one intact replacement stock in 5 years; it cost more than the sported rifle that I restored.
    Oh, did Ross's have a 30" barrel? This rifle didn't have a barrel that long...probably had been bobbed then.

+ Reply to Thread