I'm posting this wherever fans of Sir Charles Ross' rifles seem to gather, so pardon me if you're seeing this more than once.

The Sutherland sight on my Ross Mk. II 5*, complicated beauty that it is, needs some help. The sliding/elevation portion of the sight is loose...floating freely, so that adjusting the elevation with the knob on the top of the sight rotates the tube assembly, but leaves the sight behind.

The button on the front of the sight, affixed to the v-notch is also loose. I'm led to believe there's a spring inside which may be gummed up, or perhaps missing, thus preventing a grip on the elevation tube. Soaking the sight has produced no results thus far, so I'm considering tearing the sight down, carefully to see if I can figure out what's going on. But where to start?

Any step-by-step dis-assembly explanation would be greatly appreciated (and if accompanied by photos would be above and beyond helping).

Thanks.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.